Sunday, September 21, 2008

Thing #7--blog about technology

Our assignment for Thing #7 is to blog about any technology.



I will comment about my use of a Smart Board at the school where I teach 8th grade algebra. One of things I like to do is to introduce the students to some famous mathematicians--I never remember learning anything about the actual people involved with mathematics when I was in middle/high school.



So far, I have created two (what I like to think of as) neat pages that have pictures of the mathematicians from the web. I have added facts to the pictures in the form of "statements" from the subjects in speech bubbles. ("Hi, I'm...." "In the year 830 I wrote a book called.....") They are colorful and informative, I hope. In fact, I did have one other teacher comment that the one on Al-Khwarismi (the "father" of algebra) was interesting!



I display my creations on the Smart Board--these also can be called interactive white boards. I am only just beginning to use all their potential. I have created games for the students, and we will be using the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives for class this coming week.



It's really made a difference in the class, I think!



That's about it for now.



So long.

P.S. I have skipped Thing #6 for now. The things I have tried haven't worked out (one link was not working). I think I need to put a digital photo of my own on my work computer so I can work with the mashups.

No comments: