Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thing #14: Perspectives on Library 2.0

I read the articles in the OCLC newsletter about Web 2.0 and where it will take libraries. I was especially interested in the one about the Librarian 2.0 and the traits necessary for the librarian in this changing world.

I appreciated the points about meeting the customers using the technology they are using, such as blogs, myspace, im's, wikis, etc. The writer also makes the point that technology is not added to libraries just for the sake of technology but because it helps the customers and removes barriers to accessing the library's resources.

Changes come quickly, and the old model of slow change and long periods spent developing new services can't be the new model.

I think our library is on the right track, and I'm glad to see that we are implementing these kinds of changes already!

No comments: