Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thing #15: Learn about Wikis

This topic really appealed to me. The idea of collaborating within a group to create and edit a website of shared information is great. The possibilities seem endless, and I enjoyed looking at the wikis that were linked in the Discovery Exercise. There was one that was created to help attendees at an ALA conference with all kinds of information about the conference but also restaurants and other tips that looked especially helpful.

I think having users add and edit content (in the right environment and for the right purposes) would work wonderfully to create a richer and more varied website.

Also, I think that a wiki used within a library for collaborative projects sounds very helpful and interesting. Passing emails around and sharing copies of documents via email would be eliminated, and, it seems to me, would make the committee work much more productive and transparent.

I know the InfoLine has a new wiki, but I haven't seen it yet, since I work only on Sundays. But that is definitely on my list of things to discover soon!

I think the library will be able to employ wikis for many purposes, perhaps including a wiki for posting and discovering activities and happenings all around the community.

No comments: